Kitchen safety: 10 tips to keep in mind while working in the kitchen
A kitchen is a great place for the family to bond and a safe place for family. Make sure to follow the above tip for a great kitchen and cooking experience. Kitchen safety is of importance.
The kitchen is a place where the whole family comes together, makes memories together. Therefore kitchen safety should be a vital agenda. The kitchen forms the center for any household. Indian kitchens have gone through a tremendous transformation over centuries. Kitchen composed of just a crude hearth. With time the kitchen expanded into a more elaborate and luxurious space.
From our ancient Chulas, the Indian kitchens have evolved to LPG gas stoves. Along with that came the transformation, where now kitchens are not confined to one gender; men, women, and children, all are involved in kitchen tasks. Since we spend so much time in our kitchen with our loved ones, it is essential to ensure its safety. The majority of households do not give priority to kitchen safety. It is mainly due to a lack of awareness about kitchen safety.
Invest in a genuine gas safety device
The Indian market is very limited when it comes to Gas safety devices. According to statistics, most gas accidents happen due to gas leaks. This is to say that the generic gas safety device is unable to deliver at its end.
Learn to use knifes
Knife injuries are a common happening in any kitchen; these injuries can be extremely dangerous. With family around, it is essential to handle them with caution.
- A blunt knife is more prone to mishaps than a sharp one. Therefore always make sure your knives are sharp.
- Keep the knife away from the reach of children.
- Chopping and cutting techniques will not just make work easy but also ward off any chance of accidents.
- Lastly, concentrate! Do not be distracted while dealing with knives.
Handle hot dishes/pots with care
While cooking we deal with fire and as normal as it is, it can be highly dangerous. Hot dishes/ pots when mishandled can cause minor to serious burns.
- Use cooking tools like tongs, cloth pads to avoid direct contact with any hot pot.
- Make sure to have mitts on while getting food out of the oven.
- Never leave stovetop pots unattended. It is always better to get pots with ebonite handles for smooth cooking.
Basic knowledge of how to handle kitchen mishaps
Gas leaks can lead to fire; each year such cases are on the rise. In case of emergency, it is essential to know how to handle fires
- Always have a fire extinguisher nearby.
- Be cautious while using the stovetop, cooking always possesses the risk of fire,
- Baking soda can control grease fires. (water does not help in this situation).
- Make sure to educate and train family about caution, safety, and action in case of mishaps
Wear safe clothes
- Avoid wearing flowing clothes; avoid dupattas, long skirts, etc.
- It is always better to wear cotton clothes.
- Avoid synthetic clothing; they stick to the skin in case of fire.
- Make sure to wear an apron and mitts (if handling hot pots).
Care around kids and pets
Family is always around while cooking; it becomes difficult to keep kids and pets away from the kitchen. But for the safety of all, it is essential to maintain some restrictions and take some necessary precautions.
- Train your pets to stay out of the kitchen space.
- Get the child locks to all cupboards.
- Keep sharp and flammable items/objects away from the reach of children.
Kitchen equipment – servicing
Kitchen equipment like Microwave, Stove, and Gas safety devices need regular monitoring and servicing for proper functioning. Once purchased, we take a backseat when it comes to maintenance. There are several advantages of servicing;
- Always unplug/switch off while not in use.
- In case of tear/break down immediately get it fixed.
- Kitchen equipment should be serviced for longevity at regular intervals.
The kitchen can get messy sometimes; spills and leaks on the floor are very likely. Wet floors can cause accidents and it is vital to take care of them.
- Keep the floor clean and always disinfect the area of cooking
- In case of oil spills clean with lemon/vinegar.
- Use slip-proof mats to avoid accidents.
- Make sure to wipe off the water immediately in case of spills.
Alcohol and sanitizers are highly flammable and should be kept away from the cooking area, especially stovetops and ovens.
- It is always better to make a separate cabinet to keep spirits. Place it away from the cooking area.
- Sanitizers should be handled with care.
- Do not use it around flammable.
Good Cleaning Practices for Kitchen safety
- To maintain proper hygiene one should always follow good cleaning practices. All areas of the kitchen should be deep cleaned in intervals.
- The kitchen sink can become homes to disease-causing pathogens. Use bleach or vinegar to clean the Kitchen sink at regular intervals.
- To avoid germ build-up cleans the cooktops, ovens, kettles, etc.
- Kitchen trash should be stored in closed bins and disposed of each day.
A kitchen is a great place for the family to bond and a safe place for family. Make sure to follow the above tip for a great kitchen and cooking experience. What are you waiting for, get cooking! All the best for your next cooking adventure with your family!